Agoura Hills and Valencia, CA Hypnotherapist, Hypnotherapy

What Is Hypnotherapy?

hypnotherapy agoura hills,, ca and valencia, cvaHypnotherapy is the application of hypnosis used therapeutically, for issues such as weight loss, smoking cessation, and anxiety reduction in order to enact change. Hypnosis is a natural state that we naturally move in and out of throughout the day. We are in a state of hypnosis when we are in between wakefulness and sleep, when we momentarily forget we are in a movie theater during a compelling film, or when we arrive at a destination and do not recall the details of the drive there.

Whether your goal is for weight loss, anxiety or stress reduction, or smoking cessation, hypnotherapy can help create rapid changes in behavior. The conscious part of our mind that regulates day-to-day cognitive activities such as decision-making, will power, logic, and reasoning takes up only about 12% of our total mind. The other 88% is unconscious process. This is why changes in behavior are so difficult to achieve. It’s like trying to have a tug-of-war with 12 people against 88!

The unconscious mind is here to serve us. Change represents threat and so the subconscious naturally resists it. Anyone who has tried to institute change in his or her life can attest to how the determination seems to whither away after about three days.

Hypnosis and hypnotherapy can keep that resolve strong and in place.

How Does Hypnosis Work?

By accessing the subconscious parts of the mind, it is possible to tap into unseen potential possibilities, to change old reactions and habits into new behaviors and perceptions, and to create positive changes, improve performance, all while promoting growth in a non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical approach.

Hypnotherapy is a pleasant state of deep relaxation and calmness, which results in rapid, positive changes. During the hypnotic state, the mind is alert while the body is relaxed, allowing the mind to become more receptive than in normal states of awareness.

Is Hypnosis Mind Control?

An individual in a state of hypnosis is in complete control of their thoughts and actions.

Nothing can be said or done that would conflict with personal, ethical, or moral standards or desires. The client is an active participant throughout the hypnotic process and is able to hear and respond during the therapeutic session. If a suggestion were given that conflicted with one’s belief system while an individual is in a hypnotic state, the unconscious mind would jolt the person back into consciousness.

Getting stuck in a state of hypnosis is not possible, any more than it is possible to become stuck in a daydream or relaxed state. A typical session lasts 50 minutes to an hour, though an initial session can last 60 – 90 minutes. A hypnotherapy session begins with a discussion of the issues that the client would like to change. Once the focus of the session is clear, the session moves to a progressive relaxation, focusing on breath and body awareness. Once in this relaxed state, the therapist guides the client into the hypnotic state, moving to the desired level of hypnotic state necessary to address the specific issue. The hypnosis portion of the hypnotherapy session lasts only about 20 minutes, though to the client, it may seem like much longer.

At the end of the session, the client is brought back to a conscious state, and though at first may feel extremely relaxed, a feeling of energy and calm wakefulness generally follows this. Many describe a brief experience of feeling very “light” or “heavy” which quickly dissolves.

What Kinds of Issues Can Hypnotherapy Help?

Hypnotherapy can be used to address many issues of day-to-day struggle. My goal is to teach my clients tools to use on an on-going basis. Many individuals come in for a period of time and leave with a toolbox of approaches that enable them to continue the work on their own.

Issues that create stress and anxiety can be greatly helped by hypnotherapy. Stress can activate past experiences and events, current situations, and fear of future events.

Test taking, public speaking, social situations, sports competitions, and deadlines are examples of reasons people seek help.

  • Weight management
  • Insomnia
  • Self-Image and confidence issues
  • Pain management
  • Motivation
  • Relationship strategies
  • Grief
  • Feeling ‘Stuck’
  • Fears and Phobias
  • Learning strategies and concentration
  • Habit control

Contact me to discuss how hypnosis and hypnotherapy may help to alleviate or reduce anxiety, pain, grief and help let go smoking, weight, and much more.